Give that heft please

 Hey nerds! Long time no see. I finally got something pretty cool and potentially sizable going on on my paint desk, and you're invited to gawk. It all started with a video by the ever lovely Trent from Miscast that rung true to me: my 3d printer is handy and great for board game components or squeezing out bits to glue to all my miniatures, but over-relying on it has deducted something from the hobby for me. Suddenly I am aligning and adjusting meshes digitally, and many of the digital modelling patreons seems to be bloated with detail and scope of minis. 

    I miss little bulky metal friends, plier work and gap filling.

Almost as if summoned, I got news that Seb-games are doing a new metal starter set for the older wargame Void 1.1. This was a step in the right direction, and along the lines of my cravings, but the model selection wasn't too appealing to me, and all came at the new game (but at least not GW) pricing.

But I found my game of choice over on Prince August who are still doing casts of first edition Mutant Chronicles Warzone. The minis have some nice bulk to them and are absolutely wicked, and I already had a few on hand from several years back. 

So I spent an entire afternoon going over the Dark Legion options, apostles and cross-referencing what was actually available on their store, with the goal of building myself a 500 point list and see where it goes from there. Of course the adherence to the army building rules is more for nostalgia than anything else, I mean its a 27 year old game after all. But their army building is pretty straight forward, you have lesser squads, greater squads and individuals. Individuals cant outnumber squads, and greater squads cant outnumber lesser squads. Easy.

    Anyhow here is what I ended up with: 

8 Undead Legionnaires with a Necromutant to lead them. (171 points, lesser squad). These are dead corporate soldiers reanimated and sent back to fight, they're cheap but not very bright, actually they go inert without a squad leader or individual nearby, so that's fun.




1 Golem of Darkness (35, individual). A large construct used for combat training, now let loose in actual combat. It is partially immune to small arms fire, and can wade ahead to draw fire from your squads.

4 Templars of Ilian with a High Templar and a Void Cannon (202 points, greater squad). Semi-mechanical humanoids summoned from the void by devotees of Ilian, I see them sort of like the Slayers of Krull, humanoid but distinctly alien infantry from beyond. The High Templar brings some tactical sense to the squad and the Void Cannon just stuns, squishes and melts people.


1 Nepharite of Ilian with a HMG (90 points, individual). This would be your chaos chosen in warhammer, a champion of Ilian, with both terrifying weapons, the ability to lead and cast powers related to their chosen god. Sadly this puts me at 498/500 points, so I cant quite afford spells, but I could always axe the golem to get myself a power of too. Who wouldn't like some chain lightning or warp shields?


    So what is next?

I am already trucking along pretty well, so might have these done before my birthday in June, and oh no, what could I possibly add to my wishlist then. But goofing aside, there are a few different but good options out there. The Dark Legion seems especially prone to expansion is all kinds of areas, since their forces are comprised of a choice of either monstrous hordes or human cultists, paired with a selection of extra goodies from their chosen dark apostle.

So as far as Ilian goes, I already have most of her cool templar stuff, but I have considered her lesser squad option - Children of Ilian, which are basically angry murder toddlers, dark reflections of humans. Sadly the models aren't that inspiring to me, so yeah eeeh.

Monstrous hordes then? Yes! After all everything I have in the monstrous hordes can be used with other apostles too. Additional sculpts of Undead Legionnaires could be sweet, the Razide (individual) is pretty iconic too, but my biggest wish from the hordes would be the Unholy Carrionade (greater squad), a weird deformed artillery piece operated by undead legionnaires fuck yes!

What about human cultists, or other apostles? The cultist forces all look cool, but aren't available on prince august right now. But in an ideal world Acolytes (lesser squad), Destroyers (greater squad) and a Supreme Necromagus (individual) would be absolutely baller. <3

As far as other apostles; Muawijhe's models aren't readily available, Algeroth only really have chonky individuals, so I 'd want more horde squads first. Demnogonis is a half option, since I already have his Curator, and both Nepharite sculpts, but the core squads arent available. I could arguably run my undead legionnaires as blessed legionnaires without much hassle, but yeah. 

So honestly Semai might be my next apostle to embrace if all goes well. Some of Semai's individuals are available on prince august, and the Dark Huntsmen squad are basically brainwashed traitors, so I could and would simply get some corporate marines and convert them.

    Hold up, Warzone Eternal?

But of course as I am close to tidying up a post, I notice a revival KS project is also underway. They have new digital 32mm sculpts, updated rules, and non EU-friendly shipping. So its not meant to be for me, but that's alright. I wish them all the best and thank them for the opportunity to post the picture of my Curator who too loves doing taxidermy.

Until we meet again my handful of dedicated readers!



Comments