So 2022 huh?

Hello there blog, it's been a while. I've been moving and trying to figure out this adulthood stuff for the last hot minute. But yeah hey, what's been going on hobby wise as of late?

Pocket-Tactics approaching Series 3

I am still on my Pocket-Tactics juice over here, after having filled up a box with series 1 stuff, then gotten a larger box to also fit the series 2 stuff, I realized I wanted a more portable solution. A grand treasure chest is fun, but a lil tackle box with a playable set would bring the game back to its portable roots. So that's what I am doing there while awaiting the series 3 releases. I have been picking out and pairing up factions across series 1 and 2 to be these thematic set.

Most recent one is a pairing of the Argent Lion against the Restless Shadow. Giving everything a neo-feudal post apocalyptic vibe, as knights are rebuilding and planting fields amongst the shade of ruined skyscrapers, faced with ancient warbots scrambling from a disturbed bunker. The only major changes I have made is picking new base tiles, making a occupied building version of the ruined tower the Argent Lion lies in, and replacing the bunker with a missile silo meant for BattleTech if I am not mistaken.


Being a pedantic nut I am spending my time obsessing over their basing. I printed all the series 1 with integrated bases, for series 2 I printed separate textured bases, and then was kindly reminded of the possibility of acrylic ones too - so you can see terrain and tiles underneath, and oh no. I've done some tests to see how easy the minis are to remove, but its a big no. And I'd rather not destroy them, so I'll just have to swallow my pride.

I am already half finished with the next set too, baring out some magnetic tiles and paint job changes. They're gonna be plagued by the same basing issue as this one, but going forward they should be even neater. It's going to be the Kingdom of Hissthk versus the Raiders of the Far Shore. It's gonna be more high fantasy this time, with mobile viking raiders assaulting a temple to an ancient evil god, while beset by their worshippers and infiltrated by their cultists.

'Generic Fantasy' with Warp Miniatures 

A lil while ago I had the idea of making my Axe and Brimstone force using the printable kits by Warp Miniatures, I think I got caught up in the specifics or something. But I have recently revisited their quite expanded line and are making small warbands now without specific rules in mind, just some cool critters and warriors I can throw various rules at. Especially their Kobolds have struck a cord with me due to their cute mischievous designs, and I didn't quite realize how much I had been missing fantasy that was more Brian Froud than Tolkien. I've already finished a few kobolds and dwarves. I am eagerly eyeing their recent Kenku releases and hope we get a larger line so I can dive in and kit bash to my hearts content.


Rank and flank with Battle Havoc!

15mm and below has been fascinating to me as a way to both live out warhammer fantasy armies kids dream, but also there are a slew of enticing arguments for making smaller things; it prints faster, it paints quicker and its easier to transport. I have of course been eyeing Warmaster Revolution, Minihammer and even Hordes of the Things but they all have a table footprint I am not happy about. Ideally I wanna play things I can confine to 2' by 2'. But to my luck I saw an add for the game, contained on 4 pages. It had all I wanted plus the scale; flanks, heroes with order dice, magic, regiments with types advantages etc. A discovery that coincided with the boom in warmaster stls being poured out these days. 


I have already made a pretty large group of Chaos Dwarves using models by Ankylo Minis, some Wood Elves with models from Forest Dragon,  and Dogs of War with models by MiniRat



And I have plenty of stuff on the backburner ready to be printed, but as with many things right now I try to focus on process rather than product. And honestly I already have plenty to play Battle Havoc at this point, in the standard size of 50 points, you usually have 1 hero and 3 regiments. I have 2 heroes and 5 regiments printed for both of my forces so yeah ahah.

So the amazing Plague Demon minis by Varus Minis will have to wait, as will the Kislev stuff by Omnioji, until I suddenly get that overwhelming itch again.

Holy mother of indie projects: The Surface World

Something that came completely out of left field and grabbed me hard is The Surface World a setting and a game by one dude. It's a skirmish game of ritual combat between small teams (or knots) of 4 fighters, each defined by the weapon they use and having an archetype such as Honor, Strength, Skill, or Mind that further specializes them. Portable indie games is one thing, but where the real rabbit hole was was in the lore and background info. Each single mini and knot on the page flesh out a little bit of the world, and at this point I am looking forward to more fiction just as much as more models. Taking place on a remote planet, the last one among the debris of universe-wide hubris. Here stragglers, clans and remnants fight over turf.


This is my first Knot, the Yasak Penance. In the lore Yasak was a mighty empire once upon a time, but overnight it crumbled and began leaked this destructive almost sentient gas called Ichorax. This knot is an ensamble of survivors fighting on for glory of their kingdom, skin marred by exposure and the gas wielded like a weapon to eat away at their opposition.

So in my future I forsee more pocket tactics, finished dwarves, thieving birds, new knots and brain willing some kislevites too. Have a good one you all.




Comments