Guess I collect Eldar now?

Hello blog! We haven't talked in a while, I mean damn even the blogger site has gotten an interface update since the last time I visited. Also heyo happy 3rd birthday ol' dusty tomb. I am still here though, haven't managed to get killed by pandemics, cops or wildfires so far. Without getting too into it, lets just say the last couple of months has been rough.

But I am lucky enough to have both the time and money to seek out diversions, and hoo boy have I found one recently. Its a 3d printer. An Elagoo Mars more specifically, and yeah that is what we are gonna talk about today, because it is a journey. Its a tool on its own, one you have to study and figure out. The amount of times I've accidentally ruined prints or even part of the printer by not knowing what I was doing or how to sort out its settings or supports, oof.


At this point however, I am deep enough in the software and machine to see form preferences and opinions of my own. Early on I printed very rudimentary board game pieces and upgrades, but I am slowly moving into full on miniature territory. And one thing I am ever-grateful for is models that are supplied with supports from the creators side, because knowing how to do supports is a skill on its own and something I am far from adept at.

Another growing preference of mine is seeing people making multipart kits. I do not mind printing a big awesome character, but these aren't as applicable for other things here and there. But multi part kits? I can choose to print only the weapons, arms, heads, bits I need. If someone being right-handed is a bother I can just mirror the model and pick whichever hands I want.



And phew is all of this just an actual intro for a series of posts? I think it might be whoops. I am starting a bit of a project / experiment, as is everything at this stage I feel like. But this one has potential to be good I think. Where I have begun my project is among the various files published by Red Nebula's Patreon. They have released a few different sets of space elves with a retro aesthetic. And with their catalogue including a lord, riflemen, jump troops, cavalry and some war machines we are nearing a point where there is wiggle room enough to start kitbashing.  I've already begun looking over hands, heads and bodies trying to figure out what things I could build. Such as removing the spear of the lord. 


So here is what I've done for my initial print: one Spirit Guard (body, gun arm and normal arm) then two Stargonauts (with helmetless faces and rifles) a Lord (who has had his spear hand cut off), a laser sword hand for the Lord, and a 3rd Stargonaut who I've cut the normal hands off, he gets a helmet and a shield and the spear from the lord. This lot was about 1.1$ in resin costs for me to print.



And I think this might be the way to look at 3d files for me. As building up a repertoire of bits, because as it stands right now I can print as many jump packs, laser machetes and helmets as I want. I can scale them, mirror them and with a little extra expertise in 3d software I can start doing some real splicing. So I am keeping a close eye on what is going on with the Red Nebula since in my eyes as every new kit means a compounding of possibilities.

Also am I gonna find a good model of a tomb and print it as a mascot of this blog? I kind of have to now don't I?

Comments

  1. I love that you're so pumped to fill your bits box. It's perf

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment