On the state of my Kults

(Somehow I wrote all this mid June and forgot to press publish, woops. Well here you go folks)

So my VUK stuff has hit a bit of a slump, despite me getting in two campaign games a while back. So like, why is what? I didn't just get burnt out on painting fish did I? Looking back there are a few things that tripped me up. The first is the matter of bases. Since a few of the miniatures used were from Wasteman (using their disc bases) I wanted to keep that consistant rather than have the slightly slanted plateu of regular 25mm bases. And I was having a shortage of both. Anyhow now I finally got some 25mm bases in so I can get all my lads based properly.

Secondly and just as akward is the issue of colours. I knew from the start I wanted my Dagonites to be colourful orange/pink fish. However now I am left to paint their robes, and I am frankly stumped. You see most of the kults have been given a semblance of a palette, but there is still one piece missing for the Dagonites: their robes.

So lets take a look at the other cults, to show what I am talking about, but first lets set the mood.


My Dunwich folk all have fleshy tones turning into purple. Their clothing is largely dark blue and they have glowing red eyes (and often more than just 2).


My generic cultists / vampiric cabal nicknamed the Followers of El Mosqo. They have dirty white robes, bright red hoods and metallic carapaces where appropriate.


My purebred ghouls all have somewhat muted dark colours, blueish skin and splatters of red.


Which brings me to my fish-boys, the two hybrids have just been given heavy black coats as they are to resemble some sort of secret police. But regardless the dagonites have a very distinct colour so far, orange skin, pink fin, flippers and lips with a few dots of pale green here and there. But the robes are still a major issue to me because they take up a lot of space on the miniatures, especially two of the unpainted ones, who are some 80% robes:


So the robes are a kind of elephant in the room for me at this point. I dont want them to be red, purple or orange since those colours are already on the miniatures palette elsewhere. Same goes for green or pale green. Whites would put them too close to the cabal and blues overlap into the ghoul and dunwich territories again. I might just go with a warm brown, but its still a very much contested point.

Comments