Wasteman Introductions (double battle report!)

A few days ago I introduced my buddy Klaus to the game of Wasteman, he just had to show up and take in the scenery as I had set everything up before hand. I showed off my cybjörgs and my pilgrims and he went with the boys in green. We decided to play the scenario caravan with the pilgrims defending a watering hole as it is beset by cybjörgs. He gave the magus a very central position to cast spells from, along with brother kauto. And his other pilgrims scattered about in cover. To make up for the slight points difference, the pilgrims also got a Necrollusc to help them out.


Early turns was my Hausers creeping in, with the terrifying Grendel and Tobledrone on the other flank, Brother Quark was generous with his blessings and he threw out Unholy Vigour to his troops, making many of his brethren have an obscene amount of actions (said the bitter opponent). In the middle of everything the scream of a behemoth echoed across the field slowing down my otherwise fearless Cybjörgs Brother Brontes faced down and killed a Hauser while on the other side of the map Brother Innsmouth and his pet Necrollusc charged the monstrocity that was Grendel.


The following rounds was quite so tense that we both forgot to take pictures, but among its highlights was the remaining Hauser blowing itself up with Blown Mind, to no avail. Tobledrone and Jarlbjörg advanced firing a hail of bullets, but not doing much else than crippling Brother Brontes. In their approach of the house they got bathed in the vomit of Brother Kauto's "biothrower", having 4 attacks a turn plus insolent to lure them into a favorable position Kauto really brought the pain and ended up taking them both down with his streams of foulness.


Deciding to take off the velvet gloves I lead Grendel on a rampage. An alien double abduction freed her from her assailants, and the Mutant Mutilator card meant Grendel attacked with Power 10 for the remainder of the turn, Klaus was not happy with this, especially once I activated her the second and third time. First she charged Wilhelm/Theodor, his teams only Medic, and turned him to paste, and them came the turn for Quark too. Kauto had crept from his puke-stained perch and can barely be spotted behind the purple truck, as he took evasive action as Grendel come to town.


The remaining crippled Hauser who had somehow survived having his mind blown crawled around the building to fight it out with Brother Kauto, after a bit of cat and mouse I decide to simply throw down a Lunar Bombardment, that Kauto had been a pain in my butt for too long! Sure the Hauser died too, but my children can all be rebuilt. This however meant we were nearing a closure before turn 6, with both of us having one fighter left. Brotes vs Grendel, let it commence!


With no cards left, and the statistical advantage of having a fighter with both Goregasm and Goliath I was pretty sure it was in a the bag, but despite Brotes even getting crippled he felled Grendel, scoring nothing short of a Fatality. He has gotten a serious case of old man strength it seems. Realising how quickly out bout had played out, we decided to squeeze in another game, digging out my other posses and resetting the table. This time I got to be the Robotopians as Klaus called dibs on my "there is no such thing as a bad trip man" raider asshole bandits. We made it a Turf-war, meaning we had to break into the enemy back line, rather than having a straight up slugfest... but as always you can probably guess where this is going.

Among the little details to notice in the below picture is that we placed a shut-down Eliminator unit on the board, since Robotopians can take over enemy machines. However I noticed I was in for an uphill fight, since my two robots with Roller (ei the fast ones) both had nonsensical programming to adhere to. My Guardbot had to stay close to a friend, and my Killbot had to seek out things to eat. None of them were very interested in sneaking into the enemy backline.


The first skirmish had errupted as Killa-Rilla had charged forward to chew up the opposition, the bike riding swordsman Dag had returned the favour. In the back both the muscly bandit Big Stank and my mini-gun guardbot rolled into position.


And then betrayal of the worst kind happened, Dag decided to roll up into the cluster of enemies, but just before that he called down a Lunar Bombardment. All escaped apart from my Guardbot who got crippled, however being both greedy and stupid I decided to force Klaus to reroll. Klaus rolled a FATALITY, as my guardbot was simply disintergrated. Rude!


It would seem a scrap was in order, so being the brilliant tacticians we are, we both pooled all available forces and slammed them into each other, I even had the Eliminator slink over here, but with Klaus having stronger fighters who are all stimmed up and had a backup medic, my odds of winning the slug fest were poor. 

But that when I remembered an important little detail about my flying drones weaponry....


I managed to damage the Eliminator and kill off both Big Stank and Klaus' Medic after a few shots. Dag went for a hail mary and went for Blown Mind, but sadly only blowing up my yellow mister handy that was on his tailpipes. However that is exactly what cards like Painkiller are for. As we crept into round 4 things were shaping up and I had recovered pretty well from my early loss. Klaus had a single gunner and his leader a Jinx left, while I had my leader, projector drone, mister handy and two kill bots. 


However I started my turn by playing Eldritch Madness on Klaus' leader, who promptly gunned down his teammate, and we decided to wrap it up at that point. So it was overall a draw between our two games, that featured a lot of bombardments, exploding heads and just all of the projector attacks. Me and Klaus both had a lot of fun and both agreed that its a nice, quick and quite entertaining game! I certainly went through my highs and lows in both games when loosing my big bulky figures, but then pulling off silly stuff with Grendel and my Projector later.

And to top it all off, Klaus brought me some old terrain of his plus this beautiful plastic lobster.

Comments