Hobbying in the end times (2020 retrospect)

Hello, so that year huh. Hoooly crap. Like everyone else I've felt the weight of things, which is another reason why things have been a little quiet around the tomb. But on the bright side I've gotten myself a 3d printer, and that has of course spawned a slew of projects and ideas and while some of my endeavors may not stick or come to fruition, I though it'd be interesting to see how things fanned out and just what I have planned going forward. But lets start with my pre-3d printer things.

Warhammer Underworlds: Beastgrave
Having tried a previous version and liking the new theme of this one, I got into Beastgrave with the core box, Hrothgorn's Mantrappers and Ylthari's Guardians. I still haven't played it due to circumstances this year - which'll be an overarching theme. But I have 3 warbands fully painted up.




Will Ylthari's Guardians ever see paint or a tabletop? Who knows. Also say hello to my cheap lightbox.

10mm Skaven Army
I've always kind of wanted a skaven army ever since I got into the hobby in the late 90s, but I wont ever paint up a big ol full scale one and I've come to terms with that. But upon discovering the Minihammer facebook group and Laran Miniatures, I realised that might be a possible avenue. At this point I've just been building and painting, but including a few things here and there to make it Warmaster friendly shouldn't be too hard.




Old School Genestalers
Due to a stroke of luck in an oldhammer trading group, I was able to secure a set of classic genestealer cultists. I had to go with bright colours and goblin green bases of course.


I already have a few ideas for other old school forces I could make as opposition, namely the Space Goblins from Knightmare Miniatures and some of the Ion Age Retained Knights.



Never Going Home
As you may be able to tell from a few of my other posts, Never Going Home really drew me in and it became a nice gritty wartime project to distract me from Turnip28 which seemed quite unconcrete at the time.





Pocket-Tactics Series 1 & Kingdoms of Hell
Early on in my 3d printers life I was still quite inexperienced, so models that could printed without supports were a big "yes thank you", paired with it being a costumizable boardgame, not a lot was holding me back. I even ended up getting preview files in the months leading up to its actual release to show people what the factions could look like. Available here. While I haven't painted their entire range I think I rest at some 70% of it at this point.





Scourgelanders and Ash Elves by The Artisans Guild
Around black friday I think there were a slew of 50% off sales on Myminifactory, and I took the time to browse most of them for good bits. One of them that really stuck a cord with me was the Scourgelander and Ash Elf models by the Artisans Guild, who all gave off a distinctly chitin-clad, dogmatic Morrowwind vibe. I haven't managed to paint any of them yet, but I have certainly printed some miniatures.





Even more rats
Another goodie I happened upon during sales were the Ratfolk Army made by Cult Miniatures, while you might argue I have plenty of rats (and be right), the fact that they are so modular, made me jump the gun. A complete skaven bitsbox? Yes please. I set out to make a group of heroes for a Mordheim group, including some of the hired swords options like a Warlock and Engineer (in Coreheim). I even went a step further and played with tinkercad in order to make High Executioner Veskit and his high profile revolver claws.



 

Of course these are personal use only and wont see the light of day published anywhere.

Pocket-Tactics Series 2: Coils of Chaos
Aint no rest for the wicked. The new line features 80s post apocalyptic pulp scifi. Oh goodness. I've only painted a few things here and there so far, but the line promises some really cool stuff.





A Wood Elf Army
Yes I hear you "WHAT, ARE YOU INSANE?! AND DON'T YOU MEAN SYLVANETH? AND DIDN'T YOU HATE GW'S EXPENSIVE PRICING AND BUSINESS MODEL, HAVE YOU GOTTEN CABINFEVER FROM ISOLATION AND GIVEN IN TO THE BIG BAD?" No, I'm not insane, or well at least I keep it manageable. I do mean wood elves, and also fuck GW. No what I intend to play is the community made Warhammer Renaissance which is a rehash of 4th/5th edition but with more balance and sensibility. So am I gonna buy wood elf models from GW? No of course not. Instead I have found some lovely 10mm models by Forest Dragon, that I will make bases for and simply play at a lowered scale. Since smaller things means easier storage, quicker painting and less play space needed, yes please.




So okay, dude, that's it right? No more things
Well yes and no. I am still piling up a cool collection of files from Red Nebula and Schlossbauer. But I wanted to end on a very cool note, actually maybe even the coolest one.



Yeah I kind of wrote a book. It for Advanced Song of Blades and Heroes, and takes the warband creation approach from Mutants and Deathray Guns and applies to the lost and the damned aesthetic. It takes place on a large island called Qaarra that is sundered by magical cataclysms. Its people are starving, scattered and utterly desperate. Feeling abandoned by their gods, they turn to the darker one who will listen. Its game about infighting over scraps, using rusty weaponry wielded by dirty bodies as you compete for favour and chaotic blessings. It contains some 36 odd mutations, 6 scenarios, 6 optional hazards to spice scenarios up, stats for some of the chaos army miniatures produced by Eureka Minis. And it has plenty of characterful illustrations by my pal Ben Doane. 

You can find it on Lulu, Gumroad and Wargamevault. (And Amazon, but fuck Jeff Bezos)

 

Comments